Tuesday, April 7, 2015

What to Do When You and Your Husband Want to Give Each Other a Five-Fingered Hug Around the Neck


Remodeling might be one of the greatest tests of a marriage. That and errant hair removal. And traveling with your family. Anywhoo, needless to say, things have been a little tense around our house over the last few weeks.

Mr. W pretty much asked me for a trial separation last Tuesday. "I think you should go to LA for a few days," he said. To which I sat up taller and replied, "NO WAY." Someone has to stick around here to nag and make sure the house doesn't fall into a deeper abyss of disarray and dust.

Having a mattress in our living room and random crap from our bedroom shoved into every available crevice of the house is wearing on us both.

But in the midst of the chaos, I learned a really important lesson about how to break the tension in difficult times.

Mr. W was huffing around trying to get these drywall shim things installed before the contractors arrived the next day while I was wading through the detritus in the backyard, trying to clean up the chicken coop. There was an egg in the coop, so I set it inside the door of the remodel with the intention of putting it in the fridge when I was done outside.

Then I heard a loud, "Awwwwww," from inside our new bedroom.

Immediately, I knew what had happened.

Mr. W had stepped on the raw egg and now it was all over his foot and the floor.

And this, my friends, is what saved our marriage.

Because I couldn't help but laugh hysterically and let go of some of my anger over his hoarding of RC helicopter gear and 31 t-shirts on hangers that I had to squeeze into my closet. I don't know if he stopped being mad at me in that moment—I mean, I did just make him step on a raw egg—but I felt like things improved after that.

So the lesson here is that a little laughter can go a long way. Maybe next time I'll try a banana peel or a bottle of seltzer.

And now, without further adieu, here is an update on our add-on progress:







We're so close to the end. Well, sort of the end. The end of the contractor and mega mess phase. The laying of the floors and installation of the bathroom finishings will be their own animal. But likely not as draining as the hardcore construction.

And if they turn out to be as draining, I'm not going to worry. Because I know exactly where to find an endless supply of raw eggs.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness--I remember the days when I swear I had sawdust in my veins....lol You two are awesome--perhaps you should have bargained for your own reality show! (Two Hearts, Two Hammers, & a Chicken?) I can't wait to see the results of all your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do have to try to have a sense of humor in these situations. I can imagine it's tough at times! Glad you got a laugh and you're sorta kinda seeing a light at the end of the tunnel! It's looking good!

    ReplyDelete

Well, whatdya think?