Friday, January 27, 2012

Needing a Second Opinion

A harem (yes, I looked it up) of seals in the waters off the coast of Big Sur.
I'm pretty sure they're all soliciting advice from one another in this shot.


According to the Myers-Briggs personality test, I am an extrovert. And as such, I am prone to seek external input when making decisions or processing ideas. I may turn to my family or my friends or my blog readers or, usually, all of the above.

The funny thing is that I tend to end up following my own instincts anyway, but having that additional support from someone else makes whatever I'm leaning towards seem all the wiser. It's the old feeling-better-because-I-got-a-second-opinion chestnut.

When I was in college and my boyfriend broke up with me then decided he wanted me back, all it took was my dad saying, "I like him," for me to give it another go.

And this week, when a virtual marketing company contacted me (hours after my last mopey post) about a work-from-home, semi-permanent freelance copywriting job, all it took was Mr. W saying "if you think it's a good fit, take it," to push me into a contract. When they asked if I could fly to San Francisco for a company off-site next Thursday, I was struggling until I turned to Mr. W again and he told me I should do it.

It's so nice to know that I can now blame any failures I encounter on him.

Just kidding. But it is really nice to have a counterpart to help me along when I'm grappling with situations like these. Especially when I'll probably need him to reassure me as I'm readjusting to being on the clock again during the day.

****NEWSFLASH: Just as I finished writing this post, I went into my kitchen and was greeted by a lizard. In addition to running away very fast, I immediately IMed and texted Mr. W (who has not responded), posted a cry for help on Twitter and Facebook, and called my parents and sister. No one has been able to help me yet and the lizard has relocated himself under or refrigerator. I am so screwed. I'm totally waking up with a lizard on my face tonight.

9 comments:

  1. I don't think lizards like human faces so I think you're safe. ;-)

    Congrats on the gig! See? The Universe listens. I hope it's a good fit and you enjoy jet setting to SF for the day. I want to jet set to SF. I love that city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully that poor little lizard found his way out from the frig and back home to the yard. He may look terrible but is really harmless.
    Great news about your potential job; the perfect setting with home as your background.
    Spousal support and second opinions are why husbands are your best friends forever. Embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizards are better than snakes! (Just some perspective-- I don't care for any scaly creature, really.)

    When I was a senior in high school, I was in physics and hating it. I went to talk to my guidance counselor about dropping the class for second semester as it had become pretty clear to everyone, including me, that math wasn't my thing. (People say physics is science but it is really just math disguised as science, I think.) Anyway, I was hesitant about dropping the class because that's not what straight A honors students did, but my counselor said "I think you already know what you're going to do, you're just wanting someone to give you that extra push." Which was totally right. Ever since then, I am much more clear when I feel like asking for help or advice-- I never need my mind made up, I just need an extra push. And having people to do that is wonderful.

    Congrats on your new opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, I blacked out on everything else when you said "Lizard" Did you ever find the lizard? Do you have lizard breath? ALL I can think about is that lizard!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Panda would probably say: 'Bout time you got your lazy ass working.

    Cheers to you on finding something that sounds pretty flexible and could lead to something even better! Always good to make new contacts. Have fun in SFO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sizzle - If it was dark, though, he wouldn't know he was walking on a human face. And thanks - fingers crossed that it's a good fit!

    Mom - If he comes back, you're the first person I'm calling.

    Anonymous - Totally cute but also scary if they jump onto your face.

    LesleyG - I love your story. We're totally wired the same way. :)

    HunnerWoof - Panda would tell me to make my sugar daddy take care of my ass so I never had to go back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome that your official unemployment is quickly coming to an end. It wasn't so painful, was it?!? Congrats - well deserved position - hope the off-site meeting is a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that we know the lizard outcome--congrats on snagging some awesome work! I hope it's great :)

    ReplyDelete

Well, whatdya think?